This summer is the time to host parties, outdoor activities, and also make repairs to the inside and outside of the house. Our Palm Bay real estate office offers the following tips below that will keep you safe while making improvements and preparing for a fun summer!
- Buy electronic devices and goods only from trusted retailers. This cuts down on the risk of unsafe or poorly constructed devices.
- Electrical equipment should indicate it has been tested independently by Underwriters Laboratories, Intertek, or another nationally recognized source.
- Electrical outlets should not be overloaded; this potentially leads to fires. Likewise, avoid connecting more than three light strands together to cut down on overheating and overload.
- Light should have fused plugs.
- Broken sockets, frayed wires, loose connections, and other damages to lights mean they should be discarded.
- Use ground fault circuit interrupters with circuits for protection when plugging in outdoor electrical decorations.
- Ensure unused electronic devices are unplugged and all electronic decorations are off when you go to bed.
- Avoid candle use, or use battery-operated candles instead of the traditional kind. Traditional ones should be at least 12 inches from flammable material.
- Try to use flame-resistant decorations.
- Store fire escape ladders near the window.
- Clean the ladder and make sure it doesn’t have loose hinges or steps before using.
- Follow the height/base rule for extension ladders: For every four feet tall the ladder is, make sure the base is only 1 foot from the structure.
- Keep balance on the ladder with two feet and one hand at all times.
- Make sure your hips are squarely between the side rails for balance control.
- Don’t strain yourself if you can’t reach something. Move the ladder instead so that you don’t overextend.